-
MTA debuts new subway map for first time since 1979
The MTA unveiled a new subway map on Wednesday, the first time it has done that in more than 45 years. The map has a new design and new features — and after a lot of customer feedback, some fixes, too. NBC New York’s Andrew Siff reports.
-
MTA unveils first new map of NYC subways since 1979
First, transit officials in New York City said goodbye to the Metrocard. Now the MTA is waving farewell to another transit icon: the famed subway map. “This is a lynchpin moment,” said MTA Chairman and CEO Janno Lieber, who watched the unveiling of the system’s first major map overhaul since 1979. Today, the transportation authority’s maps and graphics team...
-
Three of NYC's iconic bridges in need of vulnerability assessments, NTSB says
The National Transportation Safety Board is recommending that 15 New York and New Jersey bridges be inspected for levels of risk collapse from a vessel collision as part of a nationwide call to safeguard bridges from vessel strikes following last year’s fatal collapse of Baltimore’s Scott Key Bridge. The call for safety inspections on bridges does not indicate that...
-
Eight NY bridges in need of risk of collapse evaluation: NTSB
Following an investigation of the Baltimore Key Bridge collapse last year, the National Transportation Security Board recommended that 68 bridges across the United States be inspected for their risk of collapse, eight of which are in New York. NBC New York’s Melissa Colorado reports.
-
MTA testing ‘leaning bars' to replace benches at Manhattan subway station
Some subway station benches in NYC are being replaced by a new contraption: leaning bars. The new features have popping up on some subway platforms. The MTA says it will save money, but is it also an effort to keep homeless people from sleeping on benches? NBC New York’s Marc Santia reports.
-
Last ride for MetroCards: MTA to end sales at end of 2025
The MetroCard is getting closer to taking its last ride. The MTA said it will stop selling the pieces of plastic at the end of 2025, after having been used by subway and bus riders since 1993. But more people are tossing them and using Tap and Go instead. So when will they go away for good? NBC New York’s...
-
MTA ditches benches for ‘leaning bars' at an NYC subway station. Reviews are mixed
There are new additions at the West 4th Street-Washington Square subway station — and not all riders are leaning into the pilot program. For those waiting for an A, C or E train, you can stand or you can lean at the Greenwich Village stop. But you won’t be sitting. The MTA has removed the old benches, except for a…
-
MTA could lose federal funding over subway safety
Tracie Strahan reporting on MTA could lose federal funding over subway safety.
-
Congestion pricing's first month on the job: MTA rakes in millions
As New York City barrels toward the end of two months of congestion pricing, and the president’s looming threat to close the toll program, the MTA has shared receipts of the first month of revenue.
-
Busiest day to drive into NYC? Who's coming from Jersey? We break down congestion patterns
New York City’s first-in-the-nation plan to reduce vehicular congestion in the lower side of Manhattan and fund crucial MTA infrastructure projects has hit a new wall after the U.S. Department of Transportation’s withdrew its support of the pilot plan that allowed congestion pricing to be a reality in the city. Early data from the MTA showed congestion pricing resulting...
-
SEE IT: Woman reunited with priceless gold ring after it falls through sidewalk grate
MTA workers sprang into action to help the Bronx woman retrieve an irreplaceable ring stuck out of reach in a sidewalk grate in East Harlem.
-
Congestion pricing refund? Fierce critic of toll wants to give NJ drivers their money back
With the future of congestion pricing in New York City uncertain, at least one neighboring lawmaker is seizing on the opportunity to call for a refund for drivers who have paid the toll in recent weeks.
-
Trump administration orders halt to congestion pricing: How Hochul, MTA and drivers react
President Trump on Wednesday made good on a campaign promise to do away with the MTA’s controversial congestion pricing program in Manhattan, but it’s not a done deal just yet. NBC New York’s Rana Novini and Chris Jose report.
-
FULL NEWS CONFERENCE: Gov. Hochul responds to Trump administration revoking congestion pricing approval
New York Gov. Kathy Hochul responds to President Trump’s Department of Transportation rescinding the federal government’s approval of NYC’s congestion pricing plan. Officials said the cameras and tolls will stay on under a federal judge rules in the case.
-
DOT rescinds congestion pricing approval: Can they terminate the program?
The U.S. Department of Transportation announced on Wednesday it is withdrawing its support for New York City’s first-in-the-nation congestion pricing plan, opening a new chapter in the controversial program’s history. The department released a letter from Secretary Sean Duffy it said it sent to Gov. Kathy Hochul regarding its decision to “terminate” approval of the congestion pricing program, which...
-
Trump administration terminates approval of New York's congestion pricing program
The U.S. Department of Transportation is withdrawing its support for New York City’s controversial congestion pricing plan and will discuss with the state and stakeholders how to end the program, the agency announced Wednesday.
-
President Trump threatens to end NYC's congestion pricing toll
Are the days numbered for congestion pricing? That’s the big question as President Donald Trump got more specific on how he could kill it, though he has not yet decided what, if anything, he will do regarding the future of the controversial tolling plan. NBC New York’s Andrew Siff reports.
-
Is it the end of congestion pricing already? Trump, Hochul in talks over toll's future
In the 36 days congestion pricing has been in effect, there’s been something looming over the nation’s first congestion toll: President Donald Trump. Over the weekend, the president reportedly gave exclusive comments to the New York Post in which he referenced recent conversations with New York Gov. Kathy Hochul. “I think it’s really horrible, but I want to discuss...
-
One month of congestion pricing: What impact has toll had on traffic?
Wednesday marked exactly one month since congestion pricing started in New York City. It’s the nation’s first and only tolling plan of its kind and new numbers detail its impact. And despite initial opposition, a new poll suggests most NYC drivers want it to stick around. NBC New York’s Andrew Siff reports.
-
New numbers show a million fewer cars in NYC, as opinion on congestion pricing climbs
Wednesday marked exactly one month since congestion pricing started in New York City. It’s the nation’s first and only tolling plan of its kind, and new numbers show that not only is it having a dramatic impact on the roads, but also the public opposition to it may be softening.