The woman who was struck by a shopping cart thrown from a fourth-story parking garage walkway last year is speaking publicly for the first time, and tells NBC New York that she has never heard an apology from the 12-year-old boys who hurt her.
Marion Hedges said she has not heard directly from the boys in the attack that caused her serious injury.
She was in a coma after the cart hit her as she walked with her 13-year-old son outside the East Harlem Target in November. She said Monday that she still has no vision in her left eye, which makes walking difficult.
"I'm doing one day at a time ... I have a long way to go," she said outside her home on the Upper West Side.
One of the boys has been sentenced to at least six months in a residential therapeutic foster home. The other child was sentenced to at least six months in a therapy-oriented boarding school, and wrote her an apologetic letter.
But Hedges, who has a 13-year-old son, said she never received it.
"I haven't heard from them, but I wish them well, I do, because I feel very sorry for them," she said.
The Manhattan philanthropist said she can't wait to get better because she wants to help other young people.
"I'm only focusing on recovery and focusing on helping other young boys that need help," she said.
Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google+. Sign up for email newsletters here. Get breaking news delivered right to your phone -- just text NYBREAKING to 639710. For more info, text HELP. To end, text STOP. Message and data rates may apply.