The finalists are:
- Joseph Lhota, former deputy mayor of operations under Rudy Giuliani
- Karen Rae, deputy administrator of the Federal Railroad Administration and a former deputy commissioner with the New York State Department of Transportation
- NYC Transit President Thomas Prendergast
- Daniel Grabauskas, former general manager of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
- Nuria Fernandez, a former deputy administrator with the Federal Transit Administration
- Neil Peterson, who has served as CEO of transit agencies in Los Angeles, Oakland, Calif. and Seattle.
The finalist names were first reported by the Daily News on Wednesday.
Walder's last day is Oct. 20. He announced in July he was leaving after two years on the job for a position as CEO of MTR Corporation in Hong Kong. It operates rail services in Asia and Europe.