What to Know
Officials first got a call about the situation on Murray Street around 8:30 a.m.; they initially said it was a fire
Later, authorities said a defective oil burner leaked noxious fumes, causing high carbon monoxide levels throughout the building
In total, 34 people were hurt, one of them critically; others were seen unconscious and otherwise overcome by the fumes
Nearly three dozen people were hurt after a defective oil burner in the basement of a Tribeca high-rise spewed toxic fumes throughout the building Tuesday, exposing many to elevated levels of carbon monoxide, authorities say.
One of the 32 patients was critically injured, an NYPD spokesman said; others were seen unconscious or otherwise overcome by fumes at the Murray Street scene, according to witnesses.
Officials initially reported the situation as a fire in the basement of the 12-story building around 8:30 a.m. Hazmat crews quickly flooded the scene as fire officials noted "high carbon monoxide readings throughout the building."
The FDNY has confirmed that the fumes originated in a prepared food area in the basement of Amish Market, which is on the ground floor of the high-rise.
The Murray Street structure was evacuated. Fire officials said they were also assessing the air quality in neighboring buildings.
Most of the injured were evaluated at the scene for minor problems, fire officials say, but some were taken to hospitals.
Photos and video posted to social media showed throngs of emergency personnel descending on the area. More than 100 firefighters responded, the FDNY said.
Firefighters also responded to a basement fire at Macy's Herald Square Tuesday morning. Fire officials said it was a dumpster fire, and it appeared to have been doused rather quickly. Everyone in the store had to leave, though, as authorities investigated. One person suffered minor injuries, fire officials say.
NBC 4 New York has left a message with Macy's seeking comment.