What to Know
A 1-year-old girl out for a walk with her parents picked up a bag with some sort of substance inside it and ingested it, officials say
She was rushed to the hospital after turning green and was give the overdose reversal drug naloxone
The case came just one day after another 1-year-old was administered overdose-reversal drugs after ingesting narcotics
Authorities are investigating after a 1-year-old girl overdosed on drugs while on a walk with her parents in the Bronx.
The family was walking on East 181th Street near the Twin Parks Houses in the Belmont neighborhood about 11:30 p.m. Sunday when the infant managed to get her hands on a small plastic bag. Parents told authorities she picked it up off the ground and put it in her mouth.
The parents wiped out the girl’s mouth and took the bag, according to authorities, and continued walking. But they rushed the child to the hospital when they realized she was turning green.
Emergency room workers gave the girl the overdose reversal drug naloxone when the family arrived at St. Barnabas Hospital.
It's not clear what substance the girl ingested.
The overdose remains under investigation and no charges have been filed.
The case came just one day after another 1-year-old was administered overdose-reversal drugs after ingesting narcotics that her father left on a bed at a home on East Fordham Road and Tiebout Avenue after he fell asleep.
Police said in that case, the man was charged with reckless endangerment.