The Union Square Barnes & Noble runs a tight ship: When you arrive for the Olsen twins' book signing, set to begin at 12:30 this afternoon, you're given a list of rules, and woe unto the Olsen fan who doesn't follow them. There's a big stack of books at the front of the store, but you don't buy any. Instead, you pre-pay the $30 for the book, accept your pink wristband, and head up to the fourth floor, where you grab a seat. Our correspondent thought it wasn't crowded because there's no line downstairs, but the fourth floor is madness—some 2000 people have turned out, including the paparazzi in a pit near the stage. The Olsens, however, are nowhere to be found.
The draconian rules, as per the handout:
2) Mary-Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen will NOT sign any memorabilia or product other than Influence. There is a limit of one book per person, and your one book must be purchased here.
3) You will be directed to pay for your book upon entering the store and will be given a receipt for your purchase. Please keep your receipt. You will receive your book at the signing table.
4) Along with your receipt, you will be given a B&N wristband, and then directed to the event space on the 4th floor. You must have a receipt and a wristband to access the 4th floor.
5) Anyone approaching the signing table must have paid for the book and be wearing a B&N wristband. One person, one wristband, one book.
6) You will collect your signed book at the signing table. If you have paid for any additional copies, a staff member will provide you with those before you exit the space.
7) There is no photography allowed. You must put away your camera or cell phone before approaching the signing table. The authors will not pose for photos.
8) If you leave, or the authors leave, before you are able to collect a signed book, you may present your receipt to a cashier for either an unsigned book or a refund. (Refunds only issued within 14 days of receipt.)
9) There will be no extra signed copies available after the authors leave the store. They will not be able to sign for anyone who is not on line. No pre-orders.
For more stories from Racked, go to racked.com.