The Second Annual New York Photo Festival comes to DUMBO from 5/13 through 5/18. Here are the five highlights we’re looking forward to:
1. What on earth did we do before photoblogs? On 5/15, panelists discuss the present and future of “Blogging in the Photography Community.”
2. What does the concept of home mean to you? Images from an 84-year-old grandmother to those of sleeping soldiers in Afghanistan look for answers in “Home for Good.”
3. The American Youth exhibit by Redux “examines the newest generation of 18-24 year olds in detail, observing young couples and Mormon missionaries, debutante balls and drunken tailgate stupors, war widows and B-boys, street kids and lobstermen.”
4. We really, really do miss being able to take Polaroid pictures. The Magic Trick exhibit brings together a collection of the distinctive square images taken mostly by European shutterbugs experimenting with the medium.
5. One of the buzziest programs at NYPF ’09 is the “Gay Men Play,” curated by Chris Boot, including a surprisingly unshocking, touching series called Sex Between Men.
The Second Annual New York Photo Festival
Wednesday 5/13-Monday 5/18, schedule varies
Various DUMBO locations
Cost: Daypass $20, festival pass $30 More info and tickets: Website