A 16-year-old boy was killed in Chicago in a shooting that wounded two other teens on the Southwest Side late Friday night.
The three were among 18 people shot across the city overnight.
Police responded to a call of a person shot in the 2700 block of West 24th Street around 11:30 p.m. Friday, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Jose Estrada.
A 16-year-old boy was found with a gunshot wound to the chest and was transported to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County where he was pronounced dead, police said.
Two others teens also suffered wounds in the shooting. A 15-year-old boy was shot in the buttocks and an 18-year-old man was shot in the arm. Both were taken in stable condition to Mount Sinai Hospital.
The three teens were walking on the block when two offenders walked up and fired shots, according to authorities. Police said the shooting is being investigated as gang-related.
The first weekend shooting took place just after 6 p.m. Friday when a 16-year-old girl was grazed by a bullet after a gunman opened fire into a group of people walking in the 600 block of East 37th Place.
Police said the shooting may have been a drive-by and after witnesses reported a light-colored vehicle drove past the group and someone inside the vehicle opened fire. The teen was taken to Stroger Hospital with a graze wound to the abdomen. She was listed in good condition.
At least 13 others were shot overnight in the city.
- A 20-year-old man was shot in the right leg in the 11400 block of South Yale just after 7 a.m. Saturday, police said. He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in stable condition.
- Three people were shot inside a lounge on Chicago’s South Side just before 2 a.m. Saturday in the 700 block of East 83rd Street. The group was inside the lounge when they heard an argument and gunfire and realized they had been shot. A 39-year-old man and a 32-year-old man were both shot in the back and taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in stable condition. A 61-year-old man was shot in the abdomen and listed in stable condition at Stroger Hospital, police said. It was not clear if the three were the intended targets, Estrada said.
- Around the same time, a 19-year-old man was shot in the 7900 block of South Merrill Avenue. The teen was standing outside with friends when he heard several shots and felt pain, police said. He suffered wounds to the left thigh and was taken in critical condition to Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
- Around 12:15 a.m., a 33-year-old man was shot in the 8500 block of South Exchange Avenue. The man was standing with a group when a white vehicle pulled up and a gunman exited the vehicle and opened fire. A 33-year-old man was shot in the right leg and taken in stable condition to Trinity Hospital.
- Two people were shot just before midnight in the 5500 block of South Seeley Avenue. Two 28-year-old men were shot when a car drove by them and someone inside the vehicle fired shots, police said. One man was shot in the forearm, abdomen and right thigh and was taken in stable condition to Stroger Hospital. The other man was shot in the heel and drove himself to South Shore Hospital where he was listed in stable condition, police said.
- Around 11:30 p.m., a 29-year-old man was shot by a bicyclist in the 5800 block of West Erie. Police said the man was standing on the sidewalk when an armed offender on a bicycle rode by and fired shots. The victim walked into West Suburban Medical Center with a wound to the right thigh and was listed in stable condition.
- Just after 11 p.m., a 26-year-old man was shot multiple times in the 3000 block of West Flournoy Street. The man was standing with a group of people when he “heard shots and felt pain,” police said. He suffered multiple gunshot wounds to the leg and was listed in critical condition at Mount Sinai Hospital.
- Around 10:30 p.m., a 19-year-old man was shot when a gunman opened fire from a passing light-colored vehicle in the 1400 block of West Elmdale Avenue. The teen was shot in the back but fled the scene and notified police. He was taken in critical condition to Saint Francis Hospital.
- Two people were shot around 8:40 p.m. in the 13200 block of South Riverdale Avenue. A 29-year-old man was shot in the lower left arm and right bicep and was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in stable condition. A 26-year-old man was shot in the right leg and taken to Roseland Community Hospital in good condition. The two told police they were standing outside when they “heard shots and felt pain.”
- Around 8:11 p.m., a 24-year-old man was shot in the 13000 block of South Champlain Avenue. The man suffered wounds to the left buttocks and left knee and a graze wound to the right forearm. He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in stable condition.