Woman Heated Home With Grill, Sickened Kids: Police

Her family was sickened by carbon monoxide.

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2011  |  Updated 5:30 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Woman Heated Home With Grill, Sickened Kids: Police

advertisement

A Long Island woman was charged Wednesday after she attempted to heat her home with a barbecue grill, sickening her family with carbon monoxide, police say.

Suffolk County Police said Marie Claudia Blaise, 43, of Brentwood, used the grill for heat after running out of heating oil in the home.

Police received a 911 call from a man at the house, Yves Blaise, at about 4 a.m. Wednesday, reporting a woman unconscious at their Merrill Street home.

When officers responded, they found Marie Claudia and her son 13-year-old son unconscious. Her 10-year-old daughter was semi-conscious, said Suffolk County Police.

Yves Blaise and the couple's 16-year-old daughter were able to walk out of the house on their own, said police.

All five were transported to Southside Hospital in Bay Shore for treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning. Marie Claudia was later transported to Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow.

Marie Claudia Blaise was charged with second-degree reckless endangerment.

Telephone listings for the family were disconnected and they could not immediately be reached for comment.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Follow us on Instagram!
We post photos taken by our news... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out