Man Who Started Jersey Shore Hotel Fire Had Opiates in System: Officials
NEWS 4 NEW YORK
Four people were killed and eight were injured after a fire broke out at a motel on the Jersey Shore where some residents still displaced by Sandy have been staying, authorities and witnesses tell NBC 4 New York. Brian Thompson reports.
The cigarette was discarded in a stuffed chair along a wall of the smoking area at the Mariner's Cove Motor Inn in Point Pleasant, investigators determined after recovering video from the motel's surveillance system.
The Ocean County prosecutor said in a final report on the fire Wednesday that the cause is ruled accidental and that the man who started it won't be charged. Investigators also found that the motel was in full compliance with all codes and had working smoke detectors.
Autopsies on the four victims killed in the fire concluded they each died of smoke inhalation.
Eight others were injured in the fire, some critically.
The hotel has a capacity of about 100 people, and was believed to have been occupied by about 40 guests at the time, including some people who were previously displaced by Sandy.