Firefighters were hurt battling a two-alarm fire in a three-story home that houses a synagogue in Brooklyn Thursday, including one who fell down a staircase.
The FDNY said three firefighters were injured fighting the flames, which began on the first floor and quickly overtook all three floors of the home on East 27th Street in Midwood.
FDNY Deputy Chief Wayne Cartwright said firefighters were able to save Torah scrolls from the building.
The hurt firefighters were taken to the hospital with injuries that were said to be non-life-threatening. The firefighter who fell down the stairs had head, back and neck injuries, Cartwright said.
Cartwright said the volume of the fire inside was so heavy that firefighters had to withdraw at one point, fearing the house would collapse.
Fire marshals said the fire was accidental in nature and appeared to be started by a candle.