Alec Baldwin dropped a “yuge” bomb on Extra! viewers Monday when he told host Mario Lopez that he might be ditching the Oval Office soon.
Baldwin signed on to play the 45th commander in chief on "Saturday Night Live" while Donald Trump was still on the campaign trail. The former “30 Rock” actor said he doesn’t know if Americans can handle his parody much longer, as they’re already too stressed by the real man he portrays.
“There’s a style the president has to have, and I think the maliciousness of this White House… has people very worried,” Baldwin said. “Which is why I’m not going to do it much longer, by the way, that whole impersonation.”
For SNL aficionados, the news is, to quote the president, “Sad!” But Trump himself will probably be pleased, as he has criticized recent episodes of the sketch television show as “the worst of NBC” and “a complete hit job.” After facing attacks from the White House, Baldwin had previously said he would stop appearing as Trump if the then-president-elect released his tax returns.
Some fans of Baldwin’s Trump impression have been lobbying for him to stand in for Trump at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, which the president tweeted he would not attend. But Baldwin doubted the press would want him to fill the shoes of the politician whom they’ve devoted their careers to covering.
“If Trump himself doesn’t come and face the music, as it were, I don’t know what kind of program they’re going to have,” Baldwin said.
He added that if the correspondents wanted him to attend the dinner, “I would probably do it, but I’m not quite sure they do.”
Baldwin, who stars in the upcoming animated flick, “Boss Baby,” also took time to comment on the business mogul behind his now famous act.
“Trump just overwhelmingly lacks any kind of sportsmanship,” he said. “He remains bitter and angry. And you want to look at him, and you want to go, ‘You won.’”