Dopey Prank at Manhattan's Genius High School Sickens Two Students

Football players sick after teammate spikes drinks

A football player at Manhattan's elite Stuyvesant High School spiked two teammates' energy drinks with a dangerous chemical, causing one of them to vomit blood, police said.

The victims got violently ill during their varsity team practice at Stuyvesant High earlier this month after ingesting the energy drinks laced with the fungicide copper sulfate.

Wide receiver Nick Heim and running back Michael Bucaoto were taken to a nearby hospital after Bucaoto vomited blood, according to the high school's newspaper, The Spectator. Both students have returned to school. Police sources told the Daily News that the poisoned teens were random targets.

The 15-year-old teammate who laced the drinks was charged with reckless endangerment. He also was kicked off the team and suspended for two weeks.

A half dozen other students on the JV football team who were aware of the prank but didn't alert anyone were suspended from the team, according to the school newspaper.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us