Queens High School Evacuated After Small Device Catches Fire in Locker: Authorities

A high school in Queens was evacuated Monday after a small device caught fire in a locker, authorities say.

Students were cleared out of Bayside High School in Bayside when the fire broke out at about 10 a.m., fire officials say. 

The blaze was brought under control within about 90 minutes, authorities say. The fire appears to have been contained to the locked and unused locker. 

The fire looks to have originated from the device, which law enforcement sources tell NBC 4 New York appears to be nine-volt and AA batteries wrapped in paper with some wires attached. No gun powder was evident.

No one was hurt in the fire, police say. The school said in a Facebook post that the building was cleared and students were taken back to the campus' main building.

The investigation is ongoing.

Contact Us