Long Island Man Indicted in 7-Month Gas Station Robbery Spree, Attendant's Slaying

The 23-year-old man arrested earlier this year in the shooting death of a gas station clerk is now also facing charges in a spate of robberies at convenience stores across Long Island, prosecutors say.

Joshua Golson-Orelus was named Wednesday in a 17-count felony indictment accusing him of killing gas station clerk Hany Awad amid a seven-month robbery spree on Long Island, according to acting Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas.

In addition to murder charges, Golson-Orelus is accused of multiple counts each of robbery, attempted robbery and weapons crimes. He pleaded not guilty.

Golson-Orelus faces up to life in prison without the possibility of parole if convicted.

Nassau County Police Chief Steven Skrynecki called the robberies and killing "one of the most egregious crime sprees in recent Nassau County history."

Singas said Golson-Orelus' first accused robbery was in December, when the suspect allegedly stole cash and Newport cigarettes from a Citgo in Westbury while wearing a mask and brandishing a gun.

He then allegedly hit several more stores over the next month, Singas said, again showing a firearm inside the stores and making off with cash and cigarettes. 

Golson-Orelus allegedly ran into Awad, 56, on Jan. 28 at a BP in Jericho, Singas said. During that robbery, he shot and killed the well-liked clerk and ran off. Awad's body was discovered on the floor a few minutes later by a customer. 

The spree continued after the killing, Singas said. After a final robbery attempt on June 14, police chased the suspect's car and were able to take down its license plate number. The getaway car shook off police, but officers later tracked down the vehicle in Hempstead.

Nassau County police were able to link the car to Golson-Orelus, Singas said, and they learned the man had gone to Utica. That's where the 23-year-old was cuffed, with the help of Utica police and U.S. Marshals. 

Singas said Golson-Orelus allegedly stole about $11,000 in cash over the course of the spree. 

Golson-Orelus is being held without bail and is represented by Legal Aid, which has a policy of not commenting on pending cases.

Contact Us