Manhole ‘Pop' Causes Carbon Monoxide Scare, Evacuation in Brooklyn

A manhole "popped" outside a women's shelter in Brooklyn early Thursday, sending smoke into the air and causing above-normal carbon monoxide levels that prompted a major evacuation in the area. 

Authorities say the manhole fire outside the shelter on Junius Street was under control by about 6:30 a.m., about two hours after officials got a call about smoke in the area. Nearly 150 people were displaced. 

Con Edison was ventilating the shelter after detecting higher-than-usual levels of carbon monoxide, officials said. It's expected to take officials a few days to fix the wires in the manhole and ensure carbon monoxide levels are safe. 

No injuries were reported. A heavy emergency presence was visible at the scene through the morning. 

Contact Us