New York

Bathroom Fan Caused Fire on Clinton Property in Westchester, Official Says

What to Know

  • The fire broke out at a detached garage at the Clintons' compound north of New York City on Wednesday afternoon
  • A Secret Service spokeswoman said the fire was reported by a Secret Service employee, who called the fire department
  • The Clintons weren't home at the time, their spokesman said

A town official says a short in a bathroom fan apparently caused the minor fire this week at a New York property owned by Bill and Hillary Clinton.

New Castle Town Supervisor Robert Greenstein said Friday that the fire Wednesday in Chappaqua burned a hole in a bathroom ceiling.

The building is near the Clintons' house but is not attached to it. They were not on the property at the time.

Greenstein says the Chappaqua Fire Department's "incredible volunteers" responded promptly.

The Secret Service says the firefighters were summoned by one of its employees.

It says fire extinguishers were used and then firefighters inspected the area to make sure the fire had been completely extinguished.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us