Firefighters battled a blaze on the roof of the new Fulton Street transit center in Lower Manhattan Monday amid fierce temperatures and high humidity.
The firefighters responded to the fire on the roof as temperatures held in the 90s, and five were later treated for heat-related injuries. The flames erupted on the ceiling of the oculus, which is a 110-foot dome-like structure on top of the center.
MTA spokesman Kevin Ortiz said a spark from welding hit some insulation and caused the fire, which was "quickly extinguished by FDNY."
The MTA is building the new $1.4 billion center as a transfer point for multiple subway lines, and will eventually connect to the PATH trains downtown.