Scotto's Heart Healthy Italian Meal
Updated 11:51 AM EDT, Tue, Sep 13, 2011
Whole Wheat Pasta with Cauliflower and Toasted Bread Crumbs (4 servings)
1 pound whole wheat pasta, cooked according to package directions
3 cups cauliflower florets
½ cup olive oil
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Salt to taste
½ cup toasted fine bread crumbs
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 3 tablespoons, or as needed, of cooking water.
2. In large sautÈ pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the cauliflower and sautÈ until browned; remove from heat and set aside.
3. In the same sautÈ pan, add the garlic and sautÈ for about 1 minute, until golden. Add the red pepper flakes, parsley, and season with salt.
4. Add the pasta, cauliflower, and reserved pasta cooking water to the pan and cook over medium to high heat for about 2 minutes, until the water is reduced by half and the pasta and cauliflower are al dente.
5. Transfer to a serving platter, garnish with the bread crumbs, and serve.
To Prepare Breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 pound breadcrumbs, for toasting
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
Salt and pepper
1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over low heat. Add 1 tablespoon chopped garlic and cook until the garlic is lightly brown.
2. Raise the heat to medium, add the bread crumbs and continue to stir until the bread crumbs are golden brown. Top with Ω cup chopped basil. Season with salt and pepper, transfer to a bowl and let cool.
Shaved Raw Artichoke and Vegetable Salad
Baby artichokes, carrots, fennel and asparagus (4 to 6 servings)
12 baby artichokes
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 large carrots, peeled and cleaned
1 whole fennel, cut off bottom ends
8 jumbo asparagus, cleaned
1 bunch baby arugula
½ cup mild extra virgin olive oil plus additional for drizzling
Salt and pepper to taste
Mandoline or other adjustable manual slicer
1. Cut off artichoke stems and discard. Cut off top inch of artichoke with a serrated knife. Bend back outer leaves until they snap off close to base, then discard several more layers of leaves in same manner until you reach pale yellow leaves with pale green tips. Remove choke center with a small serrrated paring knife, going around choke in a circle then remove with a spoon until all choke is cleaned out.
2. Shave artichokes as thinly as possible with slicer and toss immediately with
lemon juice, then slice the carrots, fennel and asparagus. Toss with oilve oil, and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with arugula and serve.
Cotoletta of Chicken Breast (2 servings)
Cherry tomato and red onion salad with red wine herb vinaigrette
2 boneless and skinless chicken cutlets, 6 to 8 ounces each
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
Salt and pepper
2 cups Heirloom cherry tomatoes, cleaned and cut in half
1 red onion, peeled and sliced thin
1. Season cutlets on both sides with salt and pepper. In a large heavy skillet, heat two tablespoons olive oil over moderately high heat. Reduce heat to medium, add the chicken and sautÈ for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until they are cooked through. Transfer chicken to a platter, set aside and keep warm, and loosely covered.
2. In a bowl, toss the tomatoes and onions with the herb vinaigrette and place on top of each cutlet.
Red Wine Herb Vinaigrette
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon finely diced garlic
1 tablespoon finely diced shallots
½ teaspoon finely diced fresh oregano
2 tablespoons finely diced fresh parsley
2 tablespoons finely diced fresh thyme
2 tablespoons finely diced fresh tarragon
½ cup excellent quality extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
1. In a small bowl, add red wine vinegar, garlic, shallots, and all herbs. Mix together with whisk then stream in extra virgin olive oil whisking all together.
2. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
Strawberries with Balsamic Vinegar and Mint
Topped with low fat vanilla yogurt (4 servings)
4 packets splenda
½ cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup fresh mint leaves, torn into small pieces and loosely packed
4 cups strawberries, trimmed and halved
4 tablespoons low fat yogurt
1. In large mixing bowl, stir together splenda, vinegar, honey, and pepper. Add mint and strawberries; toss to coat.
2. Cover and chill at least 10 minutes then top each serving with 1 tablespoon low fat vanilla yogurt and serve.
First Published: Sep 13, 2011 10:51 AM EDT