Barley Risotto with Carrots and Spiced Nuts
Updated 1:16 PM EDT, Tue, Feb 23, 2010
To view this video you must to have Flash Player 9.0 or later installed. Click to download the most recent version of Flash.
from Michael Anthony, executive chef at Gramercy Tavern
Yield: 10 servings
2 cups Barley
1 cup Onions, minced
1 tablespoon Garlic, minced
3 quarts Vegetable stock, or water
2 cups Leeks, minced
2 cups Carrots, peed and cut
1 tsp Ginger, minced
1 tsp Garlic, minced
1 tsp Coriander, toasted
2 cups Vegetable stock
5 tablespoons Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
4 tablespoons Carrots
2 tablespoons Chopped herbs
parsley, chives, tarragon (1 part each)
1 tablespoon Butter
3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
For the barley:
1. Sweat the onions in olive oil.
2. Add garlic.
3. Add barley.
4. Cover with vegetable stock and simmer until tender.
For the carrot puree:
1. Sweat the ginger, garlic and coriander.
2. Add carrots and cook without achieving color.
3. Add stock and simmer until tender.
1. Add all of the vegetables to the risotto and simmer until tender. Add vegetable stock as needed to reach desired consistency.
2. Finish with butter, carrot puree, cheese and herbs.
For the spiced nuts:
½ C Almonds
½ C Pistachio
½ C Pine nuts
¼ C Coriander seed
3 tablespoon Sesame seed
2 tablespoon Cumin seed
1 ½ teaspoon Black peppercorns
1 teaspoon Fennel seed
1 teaspoon Salt
1. Toast spices.
2. Grind in a mortar.
First Published: Feb 15, 2010 5:27 PM EDT