Report of Different Samsung Phone Model Exploding | NBC New York
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Report of Different Samsung Phone Model Exploding

The user said she threw the phone away when she realized it had "swollen up" and smoke was coming out

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Lee Jin-man, AP
    In this Oct. 27, 2016, file photo, a shareholder of Samsung Electronics arrives for the general meeting of shareholders in Seoul, South Korea.

    A Samsung phone user in France says her Galaxy J5 smartphone caught fire and exploded on Sunday. The model is different from the Galaxy Note 7 that has been recalled worldwide.

    Lamya Bouyirdane told The Associated Press on Monday that she noticed the phone was very hot after she asked her four-year-old son to pass it over during a family gathering at her home. She said she threw the phone away when she realized it had "swollen up" and smoke was coming out.

    New 'Soundwave' Tattoos Can Talk, Play Music

    [NATL] New 'Soundwave' Tattoos Can Talk, Play Music

    What if tattoos could talk? That's what Nate Siggard, CEO and founder of Skin Motion, is trying to do with his soundwave tattoo app. It works like this: users can upload sounds and voices to the app, creating a waveform of the audio. They can print out these waveforms and have them turned into tattoos. They can point their mobile phone or tablet device at the tattoo and use the app to play back the sound.

    (Published 2 hours ago)

    "I panicked when I saw the smoke and I had the reflex to throw it away," said Bouyirdane, a mother of three in the southwestern French city of Pau.

    The phone then caught fire and the back blew off. Her partner quickly extinguished it.

    Bouyirdane said she bought the phone new last June on a website offering discounts.

    The South Korean company recently recalled millions of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphones globally because of a problem that caused the batteries to overheat and catch fire.

    William Stofega, a mobile analyst for IDC, said the incident in France was most likely an isolated one, noting that the phone has been on the market for several months now and this is the first report of a battery fire that he's aware of.

    "These reports tend to cluster," he said.

    He added that problems involving lithium-ion batteries used in not just smartphones, but also laptop computers, have been around for years and there's no easy fix for them. Manufacturing defects or even a small amount of damage can cause a short circuit, resulting in an overheated battery and potentially a fire.

    Samsung did not immediately respond to an email from the AP seeking comments following the latest incident.

    The 'Greatest Show on Earth' Says Goodbye

    [NATL-NY] The 'Greatest Show on Earth' Says Goodbye

    The Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus that has wowed crowds for 146 years with its "Greatest Show on Earth" is taking its final bow on Sunday.

    (Published Sunday, May 21, 2017)