The new Yankee Stadium is just two years old and has nearly every modern amenity, but one woman says outdoor wiring was shockingly unsafe when she visited the Bronx ballfield.
“I stepped on an electrical outlet and it just shocked me. I was just shocked to be shocked,” said Portia Walton.
The 54-year-old artist from East Flatbush was attending a game on April 4 when the Yankees played the Minnesota Twins.
As she waited for a friend outside the Hard Rock Cafe, Walton stepped on what she thought was an exposed outlet. She says there was an electrical cord plugged into the outlet powering a nearby souvenir tent.
“It was like being jolted. I didn't know what was going on,” she said.
The jolt, according to Walton, was one thing, but almost two weeks later she says she is still suffering from headaches and memory loss.
NBC New York asked the Yankees whether the team has determined if stray voltage was, indeed an issue. Spokeswoman Alice McGillion declined to answer that question, instead issuing a three-sentence statement.
"A woman alleged that she got a shock before entering the stadium to attend a game on the 4th of April. We had EMTs check her out. We also insisted that she go to the hospital, and as far as we know she was treated and released," McGillion said.
Although Walton doesn't appear to be hurt, her injuries are very real, said lawyer Matthew Blit.
"Neurological problems aren't always visible on the surface. The problems that she is suffering now are a loss of memory and headaches, significant headaches," he said. "Anybody who suffers from headaches will be the first to tell you how significant and debilitating they can be."
Portia Walton has yet to see a neurologist. After medical tests are complete, Blit says he plans to file a liability suit against the Yankees. Walton will reportedly seek damages somewhere in the ballpark of $2 million.