Off-Duty Fireman Quells Blaze for Yonkers Neighbor

A cooking accident started the fire at former Councilman Dennis Robertson's house

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    NBC Local Media

    Authorities say an off-duty firefighter has saved a former Yonkers city councilman's home from being seriously damaged in a kitchen blaze.
     
    A cooking accident started the fire at former Councilman Dennis Robertson's house Saturday morning. Firefighter PJ Goldfeder lives across the street.

      Goldfeder tells the Journal News a teenage daughter of Robertson's ran to get the family's firefighting neighbor while her relatives called 911.
     
    Goldfeder arrived to find thick a three-foot-thick blanket of black smoke covering the floor. But he was able to contain it to the kitchen with his own high-pressure fire extinguisher.
     
    Soon, 30 firefighters arrived and brought the blaze fully under control.
     
    Deputy Fire Chief John Flynn says the Robertson home probably would have been severely damaged and perhaps a total loss without Goldfeder's action.

    Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anywhere, anytimeiPhone/iPad App | Twitter | Facebook | Email Newsletters Send Us News Tips | Google+ | Instagram | RSS