Landscaper Dies Using Lawnmower for Warmth

Landscaping company owner says victim and his cousin turned on engine to stay warm.

Thursday, Nov 3, 2011  |  Updated 9:42 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Weird News Photos: Holiday Edition

Getty Images

advertisement
Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

A Queens gardener who turned on a lawnmower in the back of his truck to keep warm during last week's storm died of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning.     

The owner of the landscaping company told The New York Times that Jorge Perez and his cousin turned on the engine to stay warm as they drove from a job in the Bronx to Queens on Saturday.     

Owner Anibal Angel said the men's co-workers riding in the front of the truck discovered them unconscious after arriving in Queens.

"It's an unbelievable and a horrible thing," Angel told the Times. "He turned the machine on and got killed by the carbon."

The 21-year-old Perez was pronounced dead at a hospital. His cousin remains in critical condition.    
 

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Follow us on Instagram!
We post photos taken by our news... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out