An undercover NYPD officer and other motorcyclists allegedly involved in a videotaped attack on a man driving a Range Rover in Manhattan will likely have the charges they face reduced, prosecutors said Friday.
The injuries the man suffered in the attack are not as serious as previously thought, prosecutors from Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance's office said in court on Friday. Detective Wojciech Braszczok, and nine others were charged with first-degree gang assault and first-degree assault in October. Those charges would likely be downgraded to attempted gang assault and attempted assault, prosecutors said.
Braszczok, 32, was initially charged with riot and criminal mischief when he turned himself in to police. The charges were then upgraded to include gang assault.
The driver, who was pulled from the SUV and beaten after being chased by the bikers after a lengthy chase through the streets, is recovering from wounds. The chase and attack, much of it captured by the motorcyclists helmet cameras, became international news.
The defendants are due back in court in February.