Gas Main Break Leaves Bronx Residents Without Heat

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    TK
    NBC

    A private contractor accidentally struck a gas main in the Bronx Thursday night, forcing a brief evacuation of a residential building and leaving over 1,000 Con Edison customers in the area without heat.

    The utility said the contractor was working in the Pelham Parkway Houses at 955 Waring Ave. in Bronxwood when the contractor struck the gas line. The building was evacuated briefly, and residents were allowed to return after the leak was contained, within about 15 minutes. 

    Over 1,000 customers were without heat and a 60-unit building was without cooking gas as crews worked to repair the gas main break, Con Ed said. 

    It's not clear when the heat is expected to be restored.

    Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anywhere, anytimeiPhone/iPad App | Twitter | Facebook | Email Newsletters Send Us News Tips | Google+ | Instagram | RSS