Jersey City officials also investigate whether a third death is linked.
Two people died of carbon monoxide poisoning at a Jersey City apartment building, Hudson Count officials confirmed Tuesday.
Preliminary autopsy results confirmed that 24-year-old Rosaria Ferraras-Matos, who was found dead in her apartment on Monday, had died of carbon monoxide. Her body was found surrounded by unpacked belongings, officials said.
In March, Arthur Galloway, 48, was found dead in the same building. Investigators recently ruled he was a victim of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Once the medical examiner's office deemed Ferraras-Matos' death the result of carbon monoxide poisoning, it performed additional tests on Galloway, who died at the same location on March 12, 2010, says Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio.
At that point, officials determined he died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The apartment building has only five units. It is unclear if the victims had lived in the same unit.
Farouk Tadrous, the building's owner, was not immediately available for comment.