Fed Reserve Terror Suspect Expected to Plead Guilty

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    This file photo of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York shows Federal Reserve police patrolling the building at 33 Liberty St. At inset is the suspect, Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis.

    The terror suspect charged in a plot to bomb the Federal Reserve Bank in Lower Manhattan last fall is expected to plead guilty Thursday in Brooklyn federal court.

    Quazi Mohammad Nafis is expected to admit he was a supporter of Osama bin Laden and that he had wanted to explode a 1,000-pound truck bomb, according to officials.

    Fed Reserve Targeted in Van Bomb Plot

    [NY] Suspected Terrorist Arrested for Alleged Plot to Bomb Federal Reserve in NYC
    A suspected terrorist parked a van packed with what he thought was a 1,000-pound bomb next to the Federal Reserve building in Lower Manhattan and tried to detonate it Wednesday morning before he was arrested in a terror sting operation, authorities said. News 4's Jonathan Dienst reports. (Published Thursday, Oct 18, 2012)

    FBI agents learned of his efforts to find others to help and set up a sting operation to arrest him last October. Officials said Nafis, who was 21 when he was arrested, came to the U.S. on a student visa from his native Bangladesh and briefly attended school in Missouri before moving to New York City in the spring of 2012.

    He is charged with material support for a terrorist organization and attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction. Nafis had also proposed various targeted beyond the Fed building at 33 Liberty St., according to prosecutors. 

    Terror Plot Suspect's Queens Neighbors Shocked

    [NY] Terror Plot Suspect's Queens Neighbors Shocked
    The terror plot suspect Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis had been living in Queens for the past two months as a transfer student. Neighbors are now reacting to the news. Gus Rosendale reports. (Published Thursday, Oct 18, 2012)

    U.S. Attorney Loretta Lynch has said Nafis was self-radicalized but also might have had help from overseas. She said he posed one of the most serious terror threats to New York since 9/11.

    “This defendant came here to build his terror network," she said in October. "It was only through some luck that he did make a connection through law enforcement and that we were then able to pretend to join his group.”

    Kelly: Terror Suspect Wanted "Mayhem"

    [NY] Ray Kelly: Suspected Terrorist Wanted "Mayhem"
    Police Commissioner Ray Kelly tells reporters Wednesday suspected terrorist 21-year-old Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis "clearly had the intent of creating mayhem" in a bomb plot involving a van outside the Federal Reserve. (Published Thursday, Oct 18, 2012)

    Nafis is expected to plead guilty before Chief Judge Carol Bagley Amon in Brooklyn Federal Court. His attorney Heidi Cesare did not return calls Wednesday.

    RELATED: 

    Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anywhere, anytimeiPhone/iPad App | Twitter | Facebook | Email Newsletters Send Us News Tips | Google+ | Instagram | RSS