Is it possible that "Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy" actually turned down an offer from the Venice Film Festival?
George Clooney's fourth directorial effort, "The Ides of March," in which he stars as a presidential candidate whose campaign gets swept up in scandal, will be the first film shown at the Venice Film Festival, reported Deadline. Ryan Gosling has the lead role of a young staffer whose inexperience imperils his candidate.
While we're happy to take this as an indication that the film is as good as we've been hoping, it's odd considering that back in April English radio personalty Douglas Urbanski, who served as one of the producers of "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy," said his film had been invited to take the opening slot.
"We’re in post-production. We’ve been invited to open the Venice Film Festival. We’ll be releasing in the U.K. probably in September. Then we’ll probably release in America in October or November,” Urbanski told RBR.com in March. “All of these things will be decided in the next two weeks but I would think that we have a very serious Oscar contender for next year.”
"Tinker," based on John LeCarre's opus, directed by Tomas Alfredson of "Let the Right One In," and with a cast featuring the likes of Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Ciaran Hinds, Mark Strong, Toby Jones, John Hurt and Stephen Graham. We hope they're not having any trouble in post.
"Ides of March," which also stars Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Paul Giamatti, Marisa Tomei and Evan Rachel Wood, is due to open Oct. 7.