Martha Stewart had a tough weekend. The daytime diva lost her second dog in less than a year.
Her pooch, a chow named Genghis Khan, was one of 17 dogs that died Friday in a propane explosion at a Pennsylvania kennel.
U.S. & World
“I am deeply saddened,” Stewart announced on her blog. “My heart goes out to Karen Tracy” (who owns the kennel).
Stewart put together a memorial to the pup on her blog and twittered updates all weekend long.
Fifteen dogs were killed instantly in an explosion that sparked when a propane technician was filling up the kennel’s gas tanks. Thirteen other dogs were injured in resulting blaze that had flames reaching 75 feet into the air. Two dogs later died at nearby animal hospitals, and the propane technician was also badly burned in the blaze.
In the midst of the fire, the technician managed to throw a small terrier named Chilli over the fence to safety before getting himself out of harm's way, Stewart’s blog reports..
"That man is a hero,'' Tracy said. ''My heart goes out to his family.''
This wasn’t the first Chow that died on Martha this year. Last April Stewart lost another pup, Paw Paw, Ghengis Khan’s dad, to renal failure.