What to Know
- Hundreds of firefighters were battling a large blaze in the trendy, historic SoHo neighborhood of Manhattan
- It's not clear what sparked the fire on Greene Street
- Officials are urging residents to shut their windows and to expect smoke, emergency personnel and vehicles and traffic in the area
A massive fire damaged several buildings in Manhattan's historic SoHo district, jumping across several rooftops before firefighters were finally able to put it out.
The fire started inside an upper-floor apartment inside 51 Greene St. at about 8:15 p.m. Tuesday, and quickly spread to a penthouse above, then jumping 20 to 30 feet to neighboring buildings on both sides, according to fire officials.
No one was home in the apartment where the fire started, and people in the apartments were able to rush out, along with neighbors next door.
Fire officials at the scene say at least three buildings in the historic cast-iron district were damaged in the blaze, which was tough to knock out because of the age and the way in which the buildings were built.
Four firefighters were being treated for heat exhaustion. There was no report of any civilian injuries.
Two pets were rescued from the buildings, including a 9-year-old yellow Lab found hiding inside the apartment where the fire started.
The city's Office of Emergency Management is advising residents in the area to close their windows and limit their time outdoors. They should also expect smoke, traffic delays and emergency personnel and vehicles.
Packed with trendy shops and boutiques inside cast-iron buildings, the SoHo neighborhood is a designated historic district under the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission.
The area is also a popular industry draw for New York Fashion Week shows and events, which is taking place until Sept. 16.