A cat may be the reason three Syracuse residents escaped an apartment fire.
Fire officials told Syracuse.com the fire was reported Saturday morning on the first floor of the building in the city’s Westcott neighborhood.
According to Deputy Fire Chief Barry Lasky, the residents were asleep when the fire broke out but a cat inside the home woke them up and they were able to evacuate.
When fire crews arrived they were able to knock down the fire in about 20 minutes. The fire was confined to the building's first floor, but officials said the second floor of the building also had to be evacuated.
Get Tri-state area news and weather forecasts to your inbox. Sign up for NBC New York newsletters.
Copyright AP - Associated Press