NYPD Officer Shot in the Arm in Washington Heights; Suspect Shot Dead By Officer's Partner: Police

The plainclothes anti-crime officer was shot near West 187th Street and Wadsworth Avenue Thursday afternoon, police said

What to Know

  • A police officer who was shot in the arm in Washington Heights Thursday is expected to survive, the NYPD said
  • The plainclothes anti-crime officer was shot near West 187th Street and Wadsworth Avenue Thursday afternoon, law enforcement sources said
  • The officer's partner shot the suspect in the chest, police said. The suspect was pronounced dead at the hospital

An NYPD officer fatally shot a suspect who fired at another officer — hitting him in the arm — during a pursuit, police said. 

Officers responding to a 911 call reporting shots fired found the male suspect with a gun at West 187th Street and Wadsworth Avenue in Washington Heights around 4:30 p.m. Thursday, NYPD Commissioner James O'Neill said. 

One of the officers, a plainclothes anti-crime officer, chased the suspect into a parking lot on Broadway, north of West 187th Street, after the suspect ran off, O'Neill said. 

The suspect hid behind a parked car and fired three shots at the officer, hitting him in the right armpit. The wounded officer fired back, according to O'Neill. 

At that point, the officer's partner drove his car into the parking lot, got out and positioned himself in front of the vehicle, O'Neill said.

The suspect shot at the officer's partner, but missed and hit the car's windshield, O'Neill said. That's when the officer's partner fired three shots at the suspect, hitting him once in the chest. 

The suspect was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead, according to O'Neill. 

The wounded plainclothes officer was also hospitalized, and was in stable condition and "good spirits" as of around 7 p.m., O'Neill said. 

At a press conference Thursday, Mayor Bill de Blasio called the shootout a "very, very dangerous situation." 

"These officers did everything right to protect the people of this community," he said, adding that the incident was a reminder of "the dangers that our officers face." 

Police initially said a second suspect had been taken into custody, but later said there was only one suspect. 

Police didn't immediately release the suspect's name or age. An investigation is ongoing.

Contact Us