energy

3 National Grid Workers Injured When Gas Leak Sparks Explosion in NYC: Officials

Fire crews are on scene checking surrounding buildings for CO and gas

What to Know

  • Three people were burned when a manhole in Brooklyn bursts into flames early Friday, officials say
  • The fire may have been sparked by a gas leak, and National Grid, which supplies the gas in the area, said three workers were hurt
  • No power outages were reported in the area of Williamsburg where the manhole went up in flames, according to Con Edison

Three utility workers suffered burns after a gas leak sparked an explosion and huge fire in Brooklyn. 

The spark went into flames just before 1 Friday morning at South Second Street an Union Avenue in Williamsburg, injuring three National Grid employees, according to the company. 

The three injured electricity and gas company workers were taken to an area hospital to be treated for minor burns. Karen Young, a spokeswoman for National Grid, said the workers were investigating a gas leak and as they were digging something sparked. 

Young added that two of the workers are expected to be released and the third is being held. 

National Grid said they have been on the scene for hours airing it out, but still have not been able to find the source of the gas leak. The stretch of Union Avenue near South Second Street remains closed to traffic as crews work.

No power outages have been reported, according to Con Edison, which also responded to the scene. National Grid said there is no danger to neighbors. 

Video shared on the mobile app Citizen shows flames leaping from the ground, shooting at least several feet into the air. News 4 cameras show several crew workers and truck in the area. 

Fire crews are on scene checking surrounding buildings for CO and gas. 

Contact Us