Man Riding Bike Dies After Catching Fire

An 87-year-old man has died in suburban New York after his clothes caught fire while he was riding his bicycle.

Authorities said Joseph Rusin was likely smoking a cigarette before he became engulfed in flames while cycling down Burkhardt Avenue in Bethpage.

A passing motorist saw Rusin rolling on the ground and used a fire extinguisher to douse the flames.

Nassau County Detective Sgt. Les Meister says the fire is not suspicious.

County fire marshal spokesman Vincent McManus says it's likely that the cigarette ignited Rusin's nylon jacket.

Rusin was pronounced dead at 4:40 p.m. Thursday.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us