Former NY Health Commissioner Dies

Dr. Richard Daines, the innovative New York health commissioner who left a lucrative private sector career to fight for public health issues including a battle against childhood obesity, has died.

Daines died unexpectedly Saturday at home two months after he stepped down from public office, said his spokeswoman, Claudia Hutton. He was 60.

Daines, a former Mormon missionary, led former Gov. David Paterson's effort to create a "fat tax" on soda that would fund programs to fight childhood obesity.

He also managed the controversial closing of hospitals and hospital wings in program to reduce the cost of the Medicaid health care system for the poor. Although that effort was one of Albany's most difficult political challenges, Daines worked closely with legislators, including Assembly Health Committee Chairman Richard Gotffried, who were trying to protect local hospitals and their work forces.

"He was creative, thoughtful, courageous and passionately committed to public health," said Gottfried, calling Daines "one of the finest health commissioners New York has ever had."

The cause of death has not been confirmed. Daines was found by state police in his barn in Stanfordville, Dutchess County, where he had been taking down Christmas decorations. It appeared Daines was in overall good health but might have had a heart attack, Hutton said.

This month, Daines was to be a visiting scholar at the New York Academy of Medicine.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo said he was saddened by the news.

"Dr. Daines worked tirelessly to improve the health of all New Yorkers, and his knowledge and deep faith has left a lasting impression on all those who worked with him," Cuomo said. "This is a tremendous loss not just for the state, but for the entire medical community."

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg called Daines "a really quality guy."

He "really had the public's interest at heart, and had the intellect to really change this country," Bloomberg said.

Daines graduated from Utah State University in 1974 and served as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Bolivia from 1970 to 1972. He attended Cornell University Medical College soon afterward and graduated in 1978.

Survivors include his wife, Linda; three children; and a grandson.

A viewing is scheduled from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Frank E. Campbell Funeral Home, 1076 Madison Ave. in Manhattan. The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Wednesday at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at 217 87th St. in Manhattan.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us