Remember Westville? Adorable noshery tucked away on West 10th with the organic veg and the free-range sausages (and the now-gone-from-the-menu butterscotch pudding - why, Westville? Why?)? Closed by the Department of Health. It's just one of the restaurants we've been surprised to see hit with a DOH smackdown recently. Here are a few others, courtesy of the eagle eyes over at Eater.
- Dirty Bird, home of addictive fried chicken and assorted comfort food-y sides.
- Longstanding L.E.S. late-nite slice destination Rosario's Pizza.
- Ramen Setagaya. Say it ain't so -- we've sucked up many a noodle at this East Village ramen spot.
- Pizza Box, which has been serving up slices on Bleecker Street since before it was Bob Dylan's beat. Apparently, this one's gone for good.
- Spawn-of-Batali-spawn Barbone, which opened to much hoopla a couple of years ago in the East Village.
- Windsor Terrace schmear depot Terrace Bagels, supposedly for a vermin infestation. (This may not seem like big news, but pickings are slim in Winsdor Terrace, kids.)