Well, so much for the seasonal peaks and valleys in the real estate market. According to the Real Estate Group New York’s January Manhattan rental market report (PDF), released today, month-to-month average rents fell for studios, one-bedroom apartments and two-bedroom apartments, in both doorman and non-doorman buildings. It was a clean sweep, and one that bucked the usual seasonal upward trend of rents from December to January.
Here are the grim rent numbers for landlords.
- Doorman studios: $2,415 in December; $2,383 in January
- Non-doorman studios: $1,996 in Decembers; $1,931 in January
- Doorman one-bedroom: $3,456 in December; $3,453 in January
- Non-doorman one-bedroom: $2,654 in December; $2,612 in January
- Doorman two-bedroom: $5,343 in December; $5,187 in January
- Non-doorman two-bedroom: $3,701 in December; $3,659 in January