West Branch, in Plywood Days
1) Midtown: NYMag reports that Brussels chain Rouge Tomate (that specializes in nutritional “spa food” offerings) will open its first NYC location this week. They write: “While this might sound like a fancy way of saying spa food, S.P.E. is actually a 'nutritional charter', espousing 'social and environmental consciousness' and 'a balanced approach to sourcing and preparing food.'; Boulud and Robuchon alum Jeremy Bearman collaborated with an in-house nutritionist on dishes like curried carrot broth with black-pearl tapioca, and lettuce-and-root-vegetable cassoulet.” Status: Not Open. Opening tomorrow. 10 E. 60th Street; 646-237-8977. [NYM]
2) Upper West Side: NYMag also has it that Tom Valenti’s fall preview superstar West Branch is slated to open this week. They write: “With the opening of West Branch, the chef-owner of Ouest has added 170 seats to his repertoire, 40 of them of the sidewalk-café variety. In the cash-strapped fashion of the day, the American brasserie menu skews casual—which is not to say it isn’t rife with Valenti-esque touches like foie gras agnolotti with soy-truffle broth and several crowd-pleasers from the chef’s ’Cesca days.” Status: Not Open. “should be opening Friday” according to staffer. Resy line opens manana. 2178 Broadway; 212-777-6764. [NYM]
3) Park Slope: File this under record turnarounds. Lady Strongbuzz reports that new Slope eatery, Cabana Bar, (from the owners of Barrio) is set to open in the recently shuttered Lookout Hill space, but doesn’t give opening date specifics. She writes: “As for what you can snack on, there’s homemade spicy chile de arbol popcorn (served free at the bar and tables) as well as a reasonably priced menu of Botanos (snacks) ranging from arepas, to oyster empanadas, rum glazed shrimp anticuchos skewers, and Puerto Rican BBQ spicy ribs.” Brownstoner reports today that it has opened. Status: Unknown. Signs point to open. Phone still goes to Lookout Hill answering machine. 648 President Street; 718-399-2161. [Strongbuzz]
4) East Harlem: A tipster writes in to alert us to the opening of Ottomanelli Brothers’ restaurant in East Harlem. They write: “It looks nice and had a good number of diners when I walked by yesterday at 6. The prices were surprisingly low so hopefully it'll take off and encourage other quality restaurants in our neighborhood. It needs it!” Status: Certified Open. 1325 Fifth Avenue; phone unknown. [Eater Inbox]
5) Upper West Side: A PR Rep writes in with word that a new location of frat favorite Village Pourhouse has opened on the Upper West. The bar is open now, and the kitchen will be open next week. Status: Certified Open. 982-988 Amsterdam Avenue; 212-979-2337. [Eater Inbox]For more stories from Eater, go to eater.com.