Wake Held for Kimani Gray, Teen Shot Dead by Police

View Comments ()




    Hundreds turned out at a wake Friday for Kimani Gray, the 16-year-old shot and killed by police in Brooklyn.

    A woman attending the wake at Caribe Funeral Home described the service as "very emotional." 

    "I can't sit in there for too long without crying," said Fatimah Shakur of Bedford-Stuyvesant. "Someone has to bury their child today." 

    There was heavy police presence around the funeral home in Flatlands, an acknowledgement of the tension the shooting has caused between neighbors in Gray's community and police.

    Calls For Peace After Days of Violent Protests Over Shooting

    [NY] Calls For Peace After Days of Violent Protests Over Shooting
    There are calls for peace in the Flatbush neighborhood ravaged by days of violent protests over the police shooting of a teenager. Marc Santia reports. (Published Friday, March 15, 2013)

    Gray was shot by two officers in East Flatbush on March 9 after police said he pulled a gun on them. But the teen's family has been demanding an independent investigation into the shooting, arguing that no witnesses saw Gray pull out a gun.

    The shooting set off a series of protests in East Flatbush last week.

    The Daily News reports the two officers involved in the shooting have been sued in the past for alleged civil rights violations. They are on desk duty while the NYPD and the Brooklyn District Attorney's Office investigates. 

    The teen was with a group of people the night of March 9, but left when he saw police in an unmarked car, police said. Authorities said he was acting suspicious when plainclothes officers approached him.

    Protesters Heed Plea for Calm in Brooklyn Neighborhood

    [NY] Protesters Heed Plea for Calm in Brooklyn Neighborhood
    Thursday was a more subdued night in a Brooklyn neighborhood where angry protesters have confronted police over the fatal shooting of 16-year-old Kimani Gray. Checkey Beckford reports. (Published Friday, March 15, 2013)

    According to police, Gray pointed a .38-caliber revolver at them, and they opened fire. He was pronounced dead at a hospital. 

    A gun was recovered at the scene, according to police.

    The medical examiner's office ruled that Gray was hit seven times, and had wounds in both the front and back of his body, including his shoulder, rib cage, forearm and legs.

    Gray was black. The officers involved in the shooting were black and Hispanic. 

    Mom of Teen Shot by Police Demands Justice

    [NY] Mom of Teen Shot by Police Demands Justice
    Carol Gray, the mother of slain teen Kimani Gray,spoke Thursday about seeking justice for her son, whom she described as a typical teenager. "He's my baby, and he was slaughtered, and I want to know why," she said. Police say Gray had a gun when they fired at him. Jonathan Vigliotti reports. (Published Thursday, March 14, 2013)

    A police officer may use deadly force when the officer has a reasonable fear of serious injury or death. Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said the shooting appeared to be within those guidelines.

    But supporters of Gray maintain he wasn't armed. His mother has said she also believes he was not, and said he left the house Saturday afternoon like it was any other weekend, heading out to hang with friends.

    Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anywhere, anytime