Parents Told of MRSA Infection at New Jersey Elementary School
The Central School in Wall Township was being disinfected, officials said in a letter to parents
A person has been infected with MRSA at a New Jersey elementary school, and officials are sterilizing the facility to stop the potential spread of the bacteria.
The superintendent of Wall Township schools said in a letter to parents Tuesday that the MRSA case had been identified at Central School.
MRSA is a skin infection caused by a strain of staph bacteria resistant to antibiotics, so it is difficult to treat. It can burrow into the body and cause life-threatening infections to internal systems.
Officials did not say whether the infected person was a student or faculty member.
The letter to parents said the school was being deep cleaned with an "antibacterial heavy duty cleaner" that has been proven to kill MRSA.
Every surface at the school, including door handles, railings, desks, chairs, lockers, walls and floors will be disinfected, the superintendent said. Buses are also being cleaned.