LI Girl, 4, Helps Save Choking Brother
The 4-year-old Long Island girl calmly dialed for help Wednesday after her younger brother choked on a piece of chicken and passed out
Updated at 12:51 PM EST on Saturday, May 19, 2012
They talked about calling 911 in Grace Varley's prekindergarten class. She must have been listening.
The 4-year-old Long Island girl calmly dialed for help Wednesday after her younger brother choked on a piece of chicken and passed out.
A police officer who lived near the family's Amityville home was on the scene within moments. Officer John Adriella was able to dislodge the food and get the child breathing again.
Now Gracie is being hailed as a hero. The police sergeant who took her call tells Newsday
she was "cool and collected" on the line.
For a few minutes the situation was desperate. A grandmother taking care of the children was unable to clear the boy's airway and had carried the child outside yelling for help.
Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google+. Get our apps here and sign up for email newsletters here. Get breaking news delivered right to your phone -- just text NYBREAKING to 639710. For more info, text HELP. To end, text STOP. Message and data rates may apply.
Copyright Associated Press