Candle Caused Deadly April Fire: FDNY

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    TK
    Getty Images

    Fire marshals have determined that a candle started a fast-moving Bronx fire that killed a 12-year-old boy and his parents in April.

    Spokesman Frank Dwyer says the fire was ruled accidental. Con Edison had said the building had no power because there was no record of anyone living there.

    Twelve-year-old Christian Garcia and his parents, Juan Lopez and Christina Garcia, were killed in the April 25 blaze.

    Christian's younger brother and sister were rescued from the third-floor apartment.

    After the fire, officials said the building had been illegally subdivided and access to fire escapes was blocked.

    The building was in foreclosure and its ownership was disputed.

    The case led to a city crackdown on illegal subdivisions. Fire officials say the divisions imperil residents' lives.