Big (Potentially) Bad Beef Recall
A New York company has recalled almost 500,000 pounds of beef sold in several states
Stop before you make that shepherd’s pie for dinner if you bought your ground beef at BJ’s, Price Chopper, Shaw’s or Trader Joe’s.
Almost a half-million pounds of beef are being recalled after E.coli contributed to the death of an adult from Albany County, New York who had several underlying health conditions and a death in New Hampshire, where health officials said a patient died of complications.
Twenty-eight people may have become ill in Connecticut, Maine and Massachusetts and killed someone in New Hampshire.
Fairbank Farms, a New York ground beef manufacturer, issued a voluntary recall for a line of fresh ground beef sold in eight states, including New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
The recall affects almost 550,000 pounds of beef produced between Sept. 14 and Sept. 16. The sell-by dates are from Sept. 19 to 28. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the meat was linked to cases of E. coli-related illness in Connecticut, Maine and Massachusetts. New Hampshire health officials say one person died and two others became ill.
If you just bought the beef, you should be fine. It’s no longer being sold as fresh product in supermarkets, according to Fairbank Farms.
The bad beef has EST 492 inside the USDA mark of inspection. It was also sold in Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Virginia.
The full list is on the company’s Web site. Here are some of the local products.
BJ’s Wholesale Club:
- Fresh Ground Beef Patties 85/15, 5#
- Lean Ground Beef 93/07, 3# & 5#
- Meatloaf and Meatball Mix, 2.5#
- Price Chopper Meatloaf & Meatball Mix, 1# & 2.5#
- Price Chopper Extra Lean Ground Beef 96/4, 1#
- Price Chopper Fresh Ground Beef Chuck for Chili 80/20, 1#
- Shaw’s Fresh Ground Beef 93/7, 1# and 2#
- Shaw’s Fresh Ground Beef 80/20, 1#, 2#, 3#
- Shaw’s Fresh Ground Beef 75/25, 1# and 3#
- Shaw’s Fresh Ground Sirloin Beef Patties 90/10, 1.3#
- Shaw’s Fresh Ground Round Beef Patties 85/15, 1.3#
- Shaw’s Fresh Ground Beef Patties 80/20, 1.3#
- Shaw’s Fresh Ground Beef Patties Family Pack 80/20, 3#
- Shaw’s Angus Ground Beef 85/15, 1#
- Shaw’s Fresh Ground Round Beef 85/15, 1#, 2#, 3#
- Shaw’s Natural Ground Beef 90/10, 1#
- Shaw’s Natural Ground Beef 85/15, 1#
- Shaw’s Fresh Ground Sirloin 90/10, 1#, 2#, 3#
- Meatloaf & Meatball Mix, 1#
- Trader Joe’s Butcher Shop Fine Quality Meats Ground Beef 85/15, 1# (Brick packs had sell-by dates of Oct. 6 or Oct. 7)
- Trader Joe’s Butcher Shop Fine Quality Meats Ground Beef 80/20, 1# (Brick packs had sell-by dates of Oct. 6 or Oct. 7)
- Trader Joe’s Butcher Shop Fine Quality Meats Beef Patty 85/15, 1# (with sell-by dates ranging from Sept. 19 and Sept. 28)
- Trader Joe’s Butcher Shop Fine Quality Meats Ground Beef 96/4 Extra Lean, 1# (with sell-by dates ranging from Sept. 19 and Sept. 28)
Consumers with questions about the recall can call Fairbank Farms’ toll-free hotline at 1-877-546-0122.
Copyright Associated Press / NBC New York