What to Know
One person was killed when the crane came crashing to the ground amid high winds Feb. 5
Investigators say the crane operator failed to secure the machine properly the night before it fell
The operator's license was suspended by the buildings department, and the agency has filed a case to permanently revoke his license.
The operator at the controls of the 565-foot crane that crashed to the ground amid high winds earlier this year has been found at fault for the mishap that killed one person on the ground.
The city Department of Buildings said Friday that a series of errors on the part of the crawler crane operator caused the massive piece of equipment to come crashing to the ground on Feb 5. Mot importantly, investigators found that he failed to secure the crane properly the night before it fell and that the equipment's massive boom was lowered at an improper angle that morning, causing it to become unstable and topple over.
The operator's license was suspended by the buildings department, and the agency has filed a case to permanently revoke his license. The operator will no longer be able to operate cranes in New York City.
The crane operator involved in this incident acted recklessly, with tragic results," said Buildings Commissioner Rick Chandler. "The actions we’re taking should send the message to everyone in the construction industry that safety must come first."
In the deadly February crane collapse, the 565-foot boom crashed to the ground, killing David Wichs, a Harvard-educated man who lived on the Upper West Side. It also crushed cars and injured others.
Mayor de Blasio called for greater regulation of cranes in the city following the collapse.
Since 2010, New York City has fined and disciplined dozens of crane operators and revoked the licenses of at least 14 of them.