Jets Trainer Suspended Indefinitely After Tripping Player - NBC New York

Jets Trainer Suspended Indefinitely After Tripping Player

Trainer "instructed" five players to stand along sideline during Miami punt, new evidence shows



    Inspiring Stories of Hope

    The Jets' assistant coach who tripped Dolphins cornerback Nolan Carroll during Sunday's game has been suspended indefinitely after new information surfaced that indicated he "instructed" five players to stand along the sideline prior to his now notorious knee-bend, according to a published report.

    Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum made the announcement about the prolonged suspension on Wednesday. Previously, the Jets had said that coach Sal Alosi would be suspended for the rest of the season and fined $25,000.

    "Over the last day as we continued our investigation we discovered some new information," Tannenbaum said at a news conference. “The players at the Miami game were instructed by Sal to stand where they were forcing the gunner in the game to run around them. Based on that new information we’ve suspended Sal indefinitely, pending further review."

    "Once we got this new information we met with commissioner Ray Anderson this morning. They support this initial decision that we presented to them. The league is going to look into this as well, as well they should. Once we get all the information we’ll make a final determination.”

    Tannenbaum made clear that neither head coach Rex Ryan nor special teams coach Mike Westhoff was involved. As for whether Alosi could be fired for the boneheaded move, Tannenbaum said "all options are certainly on the table."

    After the initial fallout, Alosi admitted he interfered from the sideline as the rookie ran past.  The incident was caught on tape.

    "I made a mistake that showed a total lapse in judgment," Alosi said in a statement released by the Jets about 2 1/2 hours after the game. "My conduct was inexcusable and unsportsmanlike and does not reflect what this organization stands for."

    Carroll, who had an interception in the first quarter to set up a field goal, lay on the field for several minutes before walking off. He got back into the game in the fourth period. 

    Carroll said he was not angry about the incident.

    "We got a W. That's not my problem," Carroll said. "That's the Jets' problem. We just move on. I felt contact, but I've got to watch film. I can't comment on it right now."

    Jets coach Rex Ryan said he was unaware of the situation until informed by Bruce Speight, the team's director of media relations, after the loss. Ryan said the Jets would investigate the matter.

    Then Alosi confessed.

    "I spoke to coach (Tony) Sparano and Nolan Carroll to apologize before they took off," Alosi said. He added he apologized to Ryan, general manager Mike Tannenbaum and owner Woody Johnson.

    "I accept responsibility for my actions as well as any punishment that follows," he said.

    Sparano said he would send the film to the league.

    "The only thing I know ... is that my guys were screaming up there at the time," Sparano said. "When Nolan was down on the ground and they showed the thing, somebody from that sideline stuck a foot out. I talked to the referee. I didn't see it at that particular time. I told him at that point that it was on tape and the people upstairs are telling me that's what they see."

    "I don't know what else can be done," Sparano said. "There was a player down on the sideline and that's not good. We're trying to take care of players in this game."

    Alosi was with the Jets from 2001-2005, then worked for the Falcons for one season. He returned to the Jets in 2007.

    Alosi was a linebacker for Hofstra from 1996-2000.