Fire Kills 84-Year-Old Bronx Woman, Injures Disabled Son

Authorities say a residential fire has killed an 84-year-old Bronx woman and critically injured her son.
The fire erupted around 7:30 a.m. Tuesday in Pelham Bay. Officials say the fire was accidental, caused by an electrical problem in the kitchen.
Neighbors who tried to rescue the pair said they were driven back by thick smoke and flames.

“We tried but it was impossible,” neighbor Chris Marrero said. “The smoke was as black as could be. You couldn't see 3 feet in front you."
Firefighters pulled the victims out of the home.
The neighbors said the woman took care of her son, who is disabled.

“She was all for her family," neighbor Vin Luongo told the Daily News. "They were always outside, taking walks in the neighborhood. They couldn't be nicer people."

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us