What to Know
- Four residents and two firefighters were treated for injuries
- A mom and her newborn baby were among those rescued
- Hundreds of firefighters responded and climbed to the top of the 60-story building as they checked on residents in 50 apartments
A half-dozen people were hurt, including two firefighters, after a fire broke out in a mechanical room at a Hell's Kitchen high-rise on Thursday morning and sent smoke billowing throughout the 60-story building, firefighters said.
The blaze broke out in electrical conduits in the second-floor utility room at the building on West 42nd Street at Eleventh Avenue at about 6:30 a.m., according to fire officials.
Hundreds of firefighters responded to the blaze, and firefighters climbed to the top floor of the building as they checked on residents in more than 50 apartments.
Among those removed from the building were a mother and her 18-day-old baby, who were both rescued from the 18th floor of the fireproof building because of high carbon monoxide levels.
Four residents and two firefighters were treated for injuries after the blaze.
One witness told NBC 4 New York that smoke from the blaze wafted all the way to the 27th floor of the building.