All Jasper Goldman really wanted was to get the public talking about a future for Coney Island. Working with the Municipal Art Society of New York, Jasper and the rest of the crew at the Coney Island project introduced "Imagine Coney" - an initiative "to create new ideas for the future of Coney Island to restore the area to its former position as a great entertainment and amusement area - the "world's playground.""
After presenting their initial ideas back in November, they turned online and asked the public to submit their own, the best of which were then presented at a public meeting at Our Lady of Solace Church on Mermaid Avenue last night, reports the Village Voice. For pictures from the meeting, click here.
What they (you) came up with, were out of this world. Some of my favorite ideas were:
1. A bullet train from Manhattan to Coney
2. A giant amusement bubble
3. Coney Island as a giant zoo
4. A ride viewing cloned animals (example shown is Rooster Dog, see here)
5. A wacky shaped boardwalk
6. Coney reimagined as a place to experience disasters - earthquakes, typhoons, storms, etc.
7. Recreate Dubai, Coney
8. Hire Mermaids and Ponies to walk around?! I don't know I really don't get this one...
There were many, many more, the majority of which can be viewed through this ImagineConey Public Ideas Flickr set. But aside from the ImagineConey website and Flickr set, the ideas will be displayed at the MAS in an exhibit soon, most likely later this month.