The Ulmer Brewery, a fixture in Bushwick since the late 19th Century, took a step closer to gaining Landmarks protection last week, when the Landmarks Preservation Commission voted to "calendar" the multi-building property. As the Waterfront Preservation Alliance reported, the buildings include the main brewhouse (constructed in 1872) and an addition (1880); the office (1886), engine house and machine house (1886); and the stable and storage building (1893). Here's a description of the property from LPC:
William Ulmer (b. 1844), son of William Ulmer, a successful Parisian wine merchant, became sole proprietor of the Vigelius & Ulmer Continental Lagerbier brewery by 1882. At the time, the business was expanded, including construction of a handsome Romanesque Revival style office building circa 1882. The two-story red brick building features arched and dormered windows, a squat mansard roof clad in slate, as well as remarkably intact terra-cotta ornament. Divided into three bays, the projecting center bay incorporates red terra-cotta panels that identify the initial of the last name of the owner, the beer’s trademark, and the function of the building. The architect has not yet been identified but the general design and use of materials recalls the much grander Long Island Historical Society, completed in 1881. The office building was separated from the larger brewery by a passage with an elaborate iron gate. Though rusted, the richly-embellished gate is historic and possibly original to the structure. With prohibition, the brewery closed and, since 1920, the structures have been used for various commercial purposes.